Founded: 1909 (HKFA)
Home: HKFA, 55 Fat Kwong Street, Homantin, Kowloon, Hong Kong
In preparation for this year’s AFC U-19 Championship qualifiers, HKFA U-18 are making their first appearance in the Soccer Sevens since 2011.
The provisional squad included players from four Premier League clubs – Kitchee and BC Rangers, whose senior sides are also competing in the Soccer Sevens, as well as YFCMD and Sun Pegasus.
In a tough start for the teenagers, they kick off their campaign in Group C against five-time champions Aston Villa, A-League club Wellington Phoenix of New Zealand and Hong Kong Football Club, the hosts’ first team.
In 2011, HKFA U-18 were one of two national age-group teams to participate, along with HKFA U-21.
The U-18s couldn’t have had a much harder introduction to the event, with the teenagers drawn in a tough group with crowd favourites Liverpool, 2009 champions Celtic and Yau Yee League Select.
The young debutants lost of all their group games and then exited in the Plate quarter-finals after losing a penalty shootout against HKFC Captain’s Select, who went on to lift the silverware.
- MANAGEMENT -
- Francisco Javier Bravo Gimenez (Spain) - Head Coach
- Szeto Man-chun (Hong Kong) - Team Manager
- PLAYERS -
- 1. Man Wai-sum (BC Rangers; 18) - Goalkeeper
- 2. Hui Ka-lok (17) -
- 3. Tsui Wang-kit (BC Rangers; 18) - Defender
- 4. Wu Chun-ming (c) (Sun Pegasus; 18) - Midfielder
- 5. Lam Fu-kwai (YFCMD; 18) - Midfielder
- 6. Remi Dujardin (Sun Pegasus; 18) - Midfielder
- 7. Matthew Ho Shing-yuen (Kitchee; 17) - Forward
- 8. Clinton Ng (BC Rangers; 18) - Midfielder
- 9. Chan Pak-hei (Sun Pegasus; 18) - Forward
- 10. Ngan Cheuk-pan (Kitchee; 17) - Midfielder
Group C (4th)
Drew with Wellington Phoenix 0-0
Lost to Aston Villa 1-0
Drew with Hong Kong Football Club 0-0
Plate quarter-finals: Lost to Leicester City 1-0
Group A (4th)
Lost to Liverpool 1-0
Lost to Celtic 2-0
Lost to Yau Yee League Select 2-0
Plate quarter-final: Lost to HKFC Captain’s Select 0-0 (3-4 pens)